berylkong

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Construction of Angles and Parallel lines in Geometry

I thought that Photostory is amazing. It is handy and easy to use. I used the software to make a short video about the construction in Geometry including parallel lines, perpendicular lines, and constructing angles of 60 degrees and 90 degrees. Bisection of an angle is also included.



Every year, I have difficulty in teaching some construction topics in mathematics. While I am doing the construction demonstration on the board, it is very difficult to give a hand to those students who have problems in following my steps. I have tried to take a video about the construction of different angles some years ago. I have big trouble in doing that as I needed to make the arrangement with the AV technician and booked the necessary equipment. Even though it is only for 2 to 3 minutes show, we spent hours to make the preparation and the recording. Then we needed to add the narration. The effect was not good and it took too much time using the traditional way to make educational video. It was the only trial to make my own educational video.

Taking digital pictures will be much easier. I could retake some of the pictures when I discovered that some pictures are not good enough. I did all this at home with the help of my very young daughter to hold the ruler, pencil and compasses for me. I finished the photos within 20 minutes. Then I retook some pictures later when I found some pictures not satisfactory. It is really convenient to make videos using pictures only. The insertion of narration is also very simple. It allows correction and editing immediately. I can make many more educational videos later with this software.

Our students need to produce projects in various subjects with multi-media function. They needed to produce a video in doing some experiments. They have to take video when interviewing some guests. This is a very good idea to use this software to make video with pictures only. It is because their skill of taking video is very bad and the quality of video is low. However, taking pictures will be easier.

For the media player version, please click here.

4 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Christina MLIM said...

Very useful teaching materials! I think the video can help students to learn, because it is attractive, and also they can read it repeatly.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Christina MLIM said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Keith Ma said...

It is a good job!
The content is very meaningful to students.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Wonderful said...

I can understand the content that you present though I'm an idiot in Mathematics. This is a good job. Practical and efficient. This is good for students' self-access learning, especially when they have missed the class.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home